A Private Ranch Near Solvang, California - June 29th
Eurasian Collared-Dove #2
- This introduced bird has made it all the way to the west coast!
American Crow #8
- Many birds were coming to the feeders.
Black-chinned Hummingbird #16
- This male perched conspicuously near his favorite feeder.
Yellow-billed Magpie #2
- A specialty bird of central California...here this bird appears to be lecturing the other two...
Yellow-billed Magpie #8
- ...while here the beautiful iridescence of the bird's feathers stands out.
Bullock's Oriole #13
- This male Bullock's Oriole worked his way through the bush, and only emerged when he was right next to the feeder.
Hooded Oriole #18
- This female Hooded Oriole kept her distance.
Band-tailed Pigeon #2
- A few Band-tailed Pigeons came to the feeders.
Western Scrub-Jay #13
- Western Scrub-Jays were very common.
Oak Titmouse #4
- Like many of the birds, this Oak Titmouse had a favorite feeder.
Wild Turkey #13
- Even Turkeys came into the feeders!
Nuttall's Woodpecker #1
- The trees near the stable produced this Nuttall's Woodpecker, the Pacific slope counterpart to the Ladder-backed Woodpecker.
White-breasted Nuthatch #6
- The Pacific race of the White-breasted Nuthatch may be a separate species in the future.
© THE OTTER SIDE