Big Sit at Estero Llano Grande State Park
Black-necked Stilt #52
- On April 16th I joined the "Big Sit" at Estero Llano Grande State Park...here a Black-necked Stilt...
Long-billed Dowitcher #26
- ...and here a Long-billed Dowitcher...about 8 species of shorebird were present
- this female Gadwall's plumage was a little puzzling...
Blue-winged Teal #16
- ...but this male Blue-winged Teal was in fine plumage...
Blue-winged Teal #17
- ...along with his mate
Green Heron #15
- always a fun bird to see
Rio Grande Leopard Frog #5
- this poor frog was making the most plaintive squeaks...
Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake #2
- ...a closer look revealed it was in the clutches of a Ribbon Snake
Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake #5
- this shows the great elasticity of a snake's jaws. The hole in the lower jaw is the opening to the trachea (for breathing). It connects to the upper jaw and nostrils when the mouth is closed
© THE OTTER SIDE